[e2e] simulation using self-similar traffic

Soo-hyeong Lee shlee at mmlab.snu.ac.kr
Tue Apr 3 05:30:44 PDT 2001

Hello,

Could you please tell me how long should I run a simulation to obtain a sufficiently confident result when using a self-similar traffic trace?
I want to show the performance of a scheme in the 'general' case which consists of mixture of busy period and silent period.
However, a self-similar traffic trace can have very long busy period and very long silent period with unnegligible probability. Then any fixed simulation time can be entirely filled with either busy period or silent period with unnegligible probability.
Is there any recommendation on simulation time (or how many independent simulations should be run) to yield something like 90% confidence interval.

Thanks and regards.

Soo-hyeong