[e2e] simulation using self-similar traffic

Polly Huang huang at tik.ee.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 3 08:45:35 PDT 2001

Soo-hyeong,

This depends a lot on what metrics you're interested and how you
generate the self-similar traffic.

According to Crovella and Lipsky's chapter in 'Self-similar Network
Traffic and Performance Evaluation' edited by Park and Willinger, if
you're measuring average throughput and using heavy-tailed file sizes
with a small alpha, say 1.2, you'll need to simulate 10^12 samples to
get 2-digit accuracy.  This is not feasible in practice (at least with
ns-2).

However, the above applies specifically to 'average' throughput.
For metrics like 90% quantile of the throughput, I have been using
the following heuristics:
1. plot the 90% quantile of the file sizes for different numbers of
   samples (using MATLAB or Splus, see the attached ps for example)
2. identify where the value converges
3. simulate at minimum that amount of samples

This might not be sufficient theoretically but necessary intuitively.
And I hope this helps.

-Polly