[e2e] simulation using self-similar traffic

Polly Huang huang at tik.ee.ethz.ch
Wed Apr 4 03:06:59 PDT 2001

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Soo-hyeong Lee wrote:

> Thank you very much for kind reply. However,
>
> > According to Crovella and Lipsky's chapter in 'Self-similar Network
> > Traffic and Performance Evaluation' edited by Park and Willinger, if
> > you're measuring average throughput and using heavy-tailed file sizes
> > with a small alpha, say 1.2, you'll need to simulate 10^12 samples to
> > get 2-digit accuracy.
>
> Crovella and Lipsky's paper is about getting average by taking
> independent samples from a heavy-tailed random variable, and doesn't
> mention anything about relation between throughput and file size. It
> doesn't take into consideration the long-range dependence either.
>
> The situation of my interest is more related with long-range dependence
> among traffic loads of different time instance or high variability of
> time span of ON,OFF period.
> The type of workload I want to simulate with is a kind of ON-OFF source
> whose OFF period follows Pareto distribution and ON period is devoted to
> transfer a file whose size is Pareto-distributed. This is a simplified
> version of what is proposed in Barford's paper(Barford, Paul; Crovella,
> Mark. Generating Representative Web Workloads for Network and Server
> Performance Evaluation, In Proceedings of ACM SIGMETRICS '98.).

Soo-hyeong,

The heavy-tailed random variable Crovella and Lipsky were talking about
was for the Pareto-distributed ON period or file size you are interested.
This is also what I meant by heavy-tailed file sizes (assuming you're
using a SURGE-like model to generate traffic already...)

> I hope that there may be some research, because this type of traffic
> trace is what is dominating the real network.

Some of us do generate aggregated Internet-like traffic with Poisson
or Pareto arrivals and Pareto file sizes.   See for an example:

'Dynamics of IP traffic: A study of the role of variability and the
impact of control'
Anja Feldmann; Anna C. Gilbert; Polly Huang; Walter Willinger
In the proceeding of SIGCOMM '99, Cambridge, Massachusetts, Sept 1999

I believe others on the list can point to more works that generate
long-range dependent traffic in a similar fashion.

> > For metrics like 90% quantile of the throughput
>
> Do you mean 90-percentile value in the random variable named 'average
> throughput measured in small interval', below which most(90%) of the
> small-interval-average-throughput lie?
>
> > 1. plot the 90% quantile of the file sizes for different numbers of
> >    samples (using MATLAB or Splus, see the attached ps for example)
>
> I am afraid that you seem to switch arbitrarily between throughput and
> file size.
> Could you explain why 90-percentile of the file size is related with
> 90-percentile of throughput?

Perhaps I wasn't being clear in the previous email.  Assuming these are
TCP files (which is the case) and if you're interested in measuring
'average TCP throughput', I expect one would need to generate as many
samples as necessary to make sure at least the average file size
converges. Otherwise, I couldn't see why would average throughput
converge.

As for the 90% quantile of throughtputs, I meant the 90% highest value of
all the measured connection throughputs.  I.e., median would be the
50% quantile.

> > 2. identify where the value converges
> > 3. simulate at minimum that amount of samples
>
> On what ground are you thinking that 90-percentile converges much
> faster that average?

That's because 90% quantile doesn't take into account those extremely
large (but rare) samples which contribute significantly to the infinite
variance and the slow convergence of average.

Cheers,
-Polly