[e2e] bandwidth and file size

Soo-hyeong Lee shlee at mmlab.snu.ac.kr
Thu Apr 5 09:35:30 PDT 2001

Hello,

It is well known that link bandwidth of the Internet is growing very fast.
Does the file size also grow at the same speed? Or is it much slower?

I have once read a Kleinrock's paper saying that future large bandwidth delay network must deal with the case where file size is relatively smaller than BDP(bandwidth delay product).
However, I have found that file size also increases.
In near 1991, file size (transferred by FTP) must have been 100B in average and mostly below 100 KB, according to Fig.2 (c) in Tcplib documentation http://irl.eecs.umich.edu/jamin/papers/tcplib/.
In near 1997, it increases to 240KB in average, according to Table 1 of Claffy's paper "the nature of the beast: recent traffic measurements from an Internet backbone," Inet, '98 at http://www.caida.org/outreach/papers/Inet98/

I think this issue is related with the performance of TCP congestion control in the large BDP environment, because small file size means that performance impact of initial slow-start gets more stressed and congestion-avoidance gets less important.
I hope you will make kind comments.

Thanks and regards.

Soo-hyeong