[e2e] How can the VPN service level agreement be enforced crossing ASs?

Andrew Smith ah_smith at pacbell.net
Thu Apr 5 21:30:14 PDT 2001

I don't hold out too much hope that this is soluble just by monitoring and
intelligent re-routing of traffic. The conventional approach would be to
"engineer" the solution using preprovisioned resources (link-, memory-,
scheduling-bandwidth) to provide QoS across the switching points and the
links connecting them. The only missing piece, I think, is the control plane
to set this all up (somewhat non-trivial of course) - the data plane
mechanisms needed to do this are well documented and, I believe, widely
implemented.

Andrew