[e2e] TCP in outer space

Kaleelazhicathu R R Kumar kaleelaz at comp.nus.edu.sg
Sun Apr 8 23:57:57 PDT 2001

hi,
  An article in the following link talks about the crew of the
ISS(International space station) facing problems with their network
especially the emails and as is the normal practice, have credited some of
the problems to Windows NT servers.
The link is http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,42912,00.html

Reading this article, i was wondering whether they are still using the
same TCP protocol for communication with the outer space or is there any
modified version of TCP or anyother kind of protocol used for space
explorations. I would appreciate if anyone can suggest me a link which can
enlighten me of the protocols being used....Assuming the same TCP is being
used for the emails , then  how is the TCP still surviving in such long
delays, as the problems in long latency especially in satellite links are
already a known fact. If i am correct, the latencies from the space ship
to earth would certainly be much higher and would that be the cause why
the crew had problems with the email ?? I quote here some of the problems
they mention:
  " But the crew was concerned with routine things such as frozen
printers, lost e-mail and an uncooperative network."

any comments please??

Thanks
Renjish.

It is inexcusable for scientists to torture animals; let them make their
experiments on journalists and politicians.
--Henrik Ibsen