[e2e] TCP in outer space

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Apr 10 12:13:24 PDT 2001

Well, I feel stupid.  The fact that we use geostationary relays to get to
moving near earth targets was complete news to me.

But it does indeed raise a question - since we have 12 happy satellites
doing GPS, and an Iridium constellation essentially going to waste, why not
use these LEO systems to build a better near-earth access network?  Latency
and noise reduction would be significant - the only problem is that those
satellites need more complex power systems.

- David