[e2e] TCP in outer space

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Apr 13 08:32:52 PDT 2001

At 09:31 PM 4/12/01 -0700, Cannara wrote:
>Indications of parochialism were clear years ago, when Xerox had a wordwide,
>functioning, XNS network, followed by 3Com's worldwide XNS-like network,
>paralleled by the Marine Corps worldwide Banyan Vines network, various Netware
>networks, etc., etc.  These were indeed largely datagram networks.

You forgot Bitnet and UUCP... and of course WWMCCS and the wonderful
roaming capabilities that work so well in interconnecting cell phones with
the POTS network.

And I suppose they all interoperated, so we could have a WWW?

I know the Vines and Netware architectures in detail, and they did not have
any particularly good congestion control at all (who needs it when you are
primarily focused on fast LANs).

You want to balkanize, why not just connect every system to every other one
with a dedicated line, and use private protocols.  Who cares about
innovation or interoperation, just as long as the links are fully occupied
by bits?

The point that of the goals of the Internet, interoperation is number one,
and heterogeneity is number two, seems to be beyond some people's
comprehension.