[e2e] TCP in outer space

Pablo Molinero molinero at stanford.edu
Sat Apr 14 16:50:32 PDT 2001

Cannara wrote:

> [...]

> I'd summarized some of this in a draft response to another msg., so will try
> not to repeat anything.  The fact is that network processors are now available
> that have (per chip) >500,000,000 RISC cycles available per second and >1GByte
> fast RAM available for processing packets (corresponding to about 2M
> packets/sec).  They also implement queue controls like RED in hardware.  Since
> basic RFC1812 routing takes <200 such cycles per packet, we now have designs
> emerging with well over 100 extra instructions available per packet to do
> whatever.  MPLS numbers are similarly good.  All these numbers more than
> double next year, and will reach 10Gb/s packet processing per chip about a
> year later.  If someone is interested in processor vendors, I'll be happy to
> pass names off list.

I find these numbers interesting.  Even if they are quite impressive, I
think that that 2 Mpps is still far away
from the 31 Mpps needed to treat TCP ACKs back-to-back in an OC-192
link. According to Moore's
law we would need 6 more years (doubling every 1.5 years) to see this
processing power, but who knows
what link rates we might be looking at by then.

My believe is that we are heading towards a situation in the core where
we have fast links and slow routers.
This comes from the observation that for the next 10 years link
capacities will double every 7 months,
whereas processing power will double every 1.5 years. As time passes the
goal of designers will start
shifting from making an efficient use of their links to reducing the
amount of per-packet processing.

Pablo Molinero-Fernandez
molinero at stanford.edu