[e2e] "congestion" avoidance...

Jon Crowcroft J.Crowcroft at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Apr 17 06:25:16 PDT 2001

In message <3ADC3EE3.E34A950A at cs.columbia.edu>, Henning Schulzrinne typed:

 >>I'm not sure what kind of arbitrage you're talking about. Yes, you could
 >>have somebody resell the bandwidth if they think that the long-term
 >>price is a steal, but the downside risk is primarily a higher blocking
 >>probability if too much of the capacity is locked up when the unexpected
 >>demand arrives.

easy - i open a set of TCP flows with flow-timsescale guarantees at a
low price to a relatively unused site (via a relatively lightly loaded
path - one of the missing pieces of the shadow price argument for both
packet and flow timescale is that it requires that users can choose
paths:-)

so then i advertise a cool web site there, and everyone rushes for it

so then i offer to back off my cheap long lived connections in
exchange for an unfair price...:-)

 >>> also, risk brokers form markets  themselves.....
 >>>
 >>> what i was thinking ewas to "democratise" (disintermediate) the risk
 >>> broker and let users form their +own+ cartels dynamically...
 >>>
 >>> i.e. we napsterise congestion pricing for packets and flows...
 >>>
 >>>  >>Interesting thoughts.  However, money or something like it needs to enter
 >>>  >>into the thinking.  I.e. some notion of sharing responsibility for costs
 >>>  >>imposed on others.
 >>

 >>>  >>
 >>>  >>IE: At a point of congestion, the "indirect channels" among competing flows
 >>>  >>provide a way of signalling (at some bitrate) for a bargaining scheme.
 >>>  >>
 >>>  >>What range of bargaining schemes can be piggybacked on this signalling channel?
 >>
 >>We have investigated both tatonnement and auctions, with different
 >>trade-offs between efficiency and the amount of information you have to
 >>reveal to the outside world.
 >>
 >>>  >>
 >>>  >>For example, what if a single (urgency) bit per packet (like the ECN flag,
 >>>  >>but provided by the source to the congested queue) could be modulated at
 >>>  >>the source, tracked in a state variable at a router queue, and coupled into
 >>>  >>a bit in each outgoing packet that controls rate like ECN.
 >>>  >>

 cheers

   jon