[e2e] Two sides of a coin: TCP/ECN/RED versus ATM/FECN

Soo-hyeong Lee shlee at mmlab.snu.ac.kr
Tue Apr 17 22:23:42 PDT 2001

I am sorry I have to make a correction on my previous message.
Rate increase speed should be broken down into two parts.

1) When the bottleneck link is underutilized,
TCP congestion-avoidance increases its sending rate linearly over time.
EPRCA increases its sending rate exponentially over time. (Proof is in the previous message.)

2) When the bottleneck link is fully utilized,
TCP congestion-avoidance sets its sending rate to availible rate + 1/RTT.
EPRCA increases its sending rate linearly over time, whose slope is \frac{available bandwidth}{Nrm}. (Proof is in the PS)
Thus the queue length evolves as a square of time in EPRCA.

My point is that EPRCA increases the sending rate much above its available rate, thus requiring more buffer than is required in TCP/ECN to avoid loss. If buffer is the same, EPRCA should exhibit less throughput than TCP does.
I'd be very glad if you can correct my possible errors.

Sincerely yours.

Soo-hyeong

PS:
 <Proof of EPRCA Rate Increase Speed in Full-Utilization Case>
First assume that the available bandwidth, BW,  is constant,
that the rate x(t) increases by 1 whenever RM cell is returned,
 and that an RM cell is inserted every Nrm cells have been transmitted.

Then the following holds:
dx=1
dt = Nrm/BW,
which means linear rate increase over time (if BW is constant).