[e2e] Re: crippled Internet

Jon Crowcroft J.Crowcroft at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Apr 18 08:11:04 PDT 2001

 >>> (would someone like to start a phone company that allows outgoing
 >>> calls only  -? not much of a business case:-)
 >>Yes, these are called "pay phones" and in the U.S., there was a
 >>once-thriving industry called COCOTS (customer-owned coin operated
 >>telephones), where you could pay $2/minute to make a call. With the
 >>advent of calling cards, the COCOT providers seem to have joined banks
 >>and operate ATMs instead, so that you can pay $2 you get your own money.

my point is that there is no case to START a business with this - yo
need to have the infrastructure there of people who have _inbound
calls allowed FIRST

the entire history of the internet is that money was (until recently
at least) usualy made by first adopters and these were adopting NEW
services - which often came from unexpected places

by defining this restricted model, you only get what you expect

and you get to make marginal profits only

which in the current climate is a more than marginal loss.

we need a modified version of metcalf's law
(value of net is n^2 for n customers)

the value of the net is m/n, for m<<n, since n are clients and only
have enough capaity to get at 1 server at a time.
 cheers

   jon