[e2e] "congestion" avoidance...

Peter Key peterkey at microsoft.com
Wed Apr 18 08:12:46 PDT 2001

Jon,

You don't have to couple "ECN signalling" with "ECN pricing" so tightly.

For example, an ECN signal may reflect the correct "resource price" or
"congestion prices" based on packet or resource level dynamics, and
users may react accordingly (or not...).  How these are translated to a
users in terms of "real" or "vitual" money depends on charging models
etc, but could relate to an aggregate level if so desired.    For
example you can fit the bounded fixed-rate charging bands  of mobile
phones into this model.

The difference is between a fundamental metering unit and how you charge
for it etc etc (eg electricity).

As for democritising, you can push the "risk brokers" as far to the edge
as you want, eg for virtual circuits you can use the approach of
Distributed Admission Control (JSAC Dec 2000, pp2617-2628), where the
end-systems decide.

If the metering signals are correct, the users can do what they  want

Cheers,

Peter