[e2e] "congestion" avoidance...

Tom Kelly ctk21 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 19 04:51:39 PDT 2001

Jon,

I've done some work on the viability of integrating TCP and non-TCP
traffic in an ECN enabled IP network where the non-TCP flows get turned
away when there is not spare capacity. It is available from:
http://www-lce.eng.cam.ac.uk/~ctk21/papers/dacprobe.ps.gz

With the endpoint admission control scheme described in the paper,
non-adaptive flows do behave adaptively in aggregate, exactly how they
adapt is set with one endpoint parameter (which in effect is the
threshold at which you decide a network has spare capacity).
The routers only need to use simple ECN marking algorithms; varying the
marking scheme dependent on packet type or looking for flow initiations
appears unnecessary. The study also considered a variety of operating
conditions; in particular it appears to work when a network is carrying a
large amount of web traffic.

In effect the scheme allows you to carry non-adaptive real-time traffic
when there is spare capacity in an IP network (which is ECN enabled) with
a simple end to end control mechanism.

There are still some open issues:
- How does the scheme degrade as the aggregates/links become small?
- How do you ensure that endpoints use congestion control? (Also how
do you ensure that endpoints use a sensible admission parameter).
- The scheme is premised on ECN being widely deployed and using sensible
marking algorithms. This may not be a fair assumption.

Hope that helps,
Tom

<45FFD0863780BF48856035CBD7E450C10149FE39 at red-msg-02.redmond.corp.