[e2e] TCP and UDP Overhead Processing Latencies.

EXT-Edwards, William H William.Edwards at West.Boeing.com
Thu Apr 19 06:08:52 PDT 2001

I'm looking for specific data regarding TCP and UDP protocol overhead
processing latencies.  I have the documentation reported by Kay and Pasquale
in 1993 and 1996 using DEC 5000/200 workstations running Ultrix (checksum,
datamove, protspec, mbuf, opsys, datastruct, errorcheck, other), but I have
Sun Ultra 60 workstations and Ultra 450 servers running Solaris.  I have the
Sun documentation regarding UltraSPARCII and Visual Instruction Set (VIS)
performance, throughput, and timing, but it isn't broken down deeply enough.

I've worked some extrapolation figures (probably done poorly) at comparing
SPEC data on the two different machine types.  I have SPEC92int and SPEC92fp
data that compares the DEC 5000/200 and the DEC 3000/500, a DART report that
compares throughput between these two DEC machines, and SPEC95int, fp,
int_rate, and fp_rate figures for the DEC3000/500, the Sun Ultra 60, and the
Sun Ultra 450.  This smacks too much of apples-to-oranges comparisons to me,
but I don't have anything else.

Any info/pointers/points of contact would help.  Thanks.

Bill Edwards
Systems Engineering
Booz-Allen & Hamilton
(703) 872-4289