[e2e] ATM

Alex Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Sun Apr 22 18:26:43 PDT 2001

Being somewhat familiar with current network-system developments, using
present and upcoming network processors, fabrics and physical
interfaces, I can testify that ATM is on it way to oblivion, even in
backbone systems.  The current demise of the 'new economy', at Internet
speed, however, has saved much existing ATM equipment, for a little
while, simply due to new-buildout, new-purchase cost cutting.  This will
not last long.  The committee-compromise-created overhead in ATM (not
just the 10% byte penalty, but the lose-a-cell-lose-a-packet folly,
cost...) is seen by system engineers as folly, especially in a commodity
business having access to new, inexpensive Gb/s and upcoming 10Gb/s
alternatives.

Alex