[e2e] UDP length field

Vernon Schryver vjs at calcite.rhyolite.com
Mon Apr 23 07:24:25 PDT 2001

> From: John Kristoff <jtk at depaul.edu>

> > Quake has its own UDP? I can see (evil) reasons for building ones
> > own TCP, but almost no benefit to a custom UDP. Is this an OS issue
> > (ie, they reimplemented sockets for speed) or did they also build
> > their own IP? Does anyone know the answer to this?
>
> This may or may not be related, but note the solution used.  The author
> doesn't seem to understand TCP and is probably unaware of the avt stuff.
>
> http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19990903/lincroft_01.htm

Raw network stuff is not the only area area in which that author
displays complete ignorance along with complete certitude.

Gamasutra.com appears to be some kind of trade rag.  If you need
puerile nonsense stated authoritatively, the technical and semi-technical
trade rags are where you should look.  Remember how many years the
network trade rags assured us that CSMA/CD collisions generally consume
a large fraction of the available bandwidth, evidently without ever
doing the obvious computation, at, for example 100% collisions.
And never mind their unending 30% nonsense.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com