[e2e] Re: crippled Internet

Thomas H. Ptacek tqbf at sonicity.com
Tue Apr 24 12:00:38 PDT 2001

> Adequate provisioning goes a long way to fixing QoS, and adequate use of
> encryption and key distribution mechanisms already available (SSL, PGP) go
> a long way toward security.  Neither is deployed.

Keeping terse out of respect for S/N ratio, but your point regarding
security is far from a proved one. It's probably reasonable to propose
that vendor software faults have more of an impact than deployed IPsec
or SSL. We can argue this forever, but I don't think you can point to
a report backed by a strong methodology that verifies your claim.

SSL, PGP, and IPsec deployment are easy scapegoats, but the real answers
aren't this simple.

---
Thomas H. Ptacek