[e2e] QoS vs Bandwidth Overprovisioning

Rajesh Talpade rrt at research.telcordia.com
Wed Apr 25 06:37:47 PDT 2001

While it is indeed true that bandwidth in general is available in plenty
at the current moment, there may still be a place for QoS. QoS does not
need to imply the "multiple handshake, back-slapping, etc" protocols
that network elements need to go thru to "reserve resources." It can be
as simple as provisioning network links to support a few traffic classes.
Each traffic class may have different packet loss, delay, jitter
requirements. These can be satisfied by marking traffic to appropriate
traffic classes, edge policing/shaping, provisioning link buffer space,
and using fair queuing to assure minimum bandwidth to each class.

Clubbing different application traffic together and throwing bandwidth
at it may be a least-common-denominator approach. Link utilization may
have to be kept artificially low such that requirements of all classes
are satisfied, rather than selectively having high utilization for some.
This may motivate ISPs that need to increase utilization across
their network to consider such minimal "QoS" approaches.

Ciao.
Rajesh.