Reed's views, was [e2e] Cannara's views

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Wed Apr 25 09:02:19 PDT 2001

John,

I imagine most of us have read "A Brief History of the Internet", "Scaling the
Internet During the T3 NSFNET Years", etcetera.  The focus of many items, like
addressing, becomes clearer after reading as many of these pieces as
possible.
I agree with your last paragraph, because zero-cost inclusion of any product
within a system bought in large volumes, for wide dissemination, is an
excellent way to market anything.  Having a free protocol stack on any Unix
machine from any vendor is very different from committing to DECnet and a
single system vendor.  This formidable marketing event (assuming no strategy),
drove TCP/IP into the commercial world, as it did in the academic one.

However, every one of the Sun (etc.) boxes that came with free IP also had at
least one Ethernet interface, with a 48-bit DLC address.  Choosing not to use
this as part of a truely-unique Net-layer address, was a surprising oversight
-- an oversight that more than a decade ago had not been made by Novell and
others.  When teaching classes that cover networking over the last 30 years,
students raise interesting questions about how the most common networking
protocol today could have such an inadequate address space, despite years of
warning, all the while enjoying both public subsidy and industry-product
bundling.

Alex