[e2e] QoS vs Bandwidth Overprovisioning

Ping Pan pingpan at juniper.net
Wed Apr 25 12:30:32 PDT 2001

There is nothing wrong with overprovisioning. The only problem is that
it can only be done (or guaranteed) within one carrier's network (except
on trans-atlantic links, perhaps). Randy had provided the data in the
past that his network has almost no congestion and delay.

Unfortunately, when you start to check on e2e delay, it can be quite
large. This's because end-user packets go over multiple carriers and
multiple inter-domain connection. There is no guarantee on end-to-end
delay in the Internet today. Period!

By the way, we need to define the meaning of bandwidth utilization here:
most of the providers give you only the average bandwidth usage.
However, the QoS factors are really driven by the peak bandwidth usage,
and the duration of operating at peak. I have seen links that run at
~30% on each 24-hour window, in which it runs above 80% of link capacity
for 5-6 hours.

2 cents,

- Ping