[e2e] Re: crippled Internet

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Wed Apr 25 15:31:33 PDT 2001

>> please explain how we might judge whether the these are sufficient for say
>> voip.
> without knowing the specifics of the test scenario

RFC2680.  and note that we have distributions of one-way delay here, not
some standard deviation of ping times.  as to how they were measured, see
<http://www.ripe.net/ripencc/mem-services/ttm/index.html>.  i can not tell
you between what host or provider pairs the particular measurements were
taken, as that would extend the consent of the measured beyond the present
limits.  and i don't think it really matters.

> it's hard to say much from them.

if true, then this whole discussion is pretty pointless.

> But they appear to suggest that some packets experienced 500 ms of delay
> (however that was measured) and some experienced virtually none.

zero packets experienced none.  the speed of light is still in force despite
many attempts to overturn.

considering that *extremely* few experienced delay far from the mode, what
can we say about what is reasonable for voip?  can we quantify it in some
way we can actually measure to see if we're doing well?  i.e. real numbers
please, not that someone in the press or on henning's corridor whines.

randy