[e2e] Re: crippled Internet

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Thu Apr 26 04:01:55 PDT 2001

In message <3AE7AEF4.411F83C9 at attglobal.net>, Cannara writes:

>Randy, the ITU specs are in 6 categories, from "perfect" to "bad".  Packet
>delays of under 200mS are rated "acceptable", higher are not.  Jitter
>acceptance really depends on buffering at the ends as well as the delay.  So
>with 100mS delay you can get away with more jitter than with longer delays.

Can you give us the citation for the ITU specs you're citing here?  Years
ago when I looked at the literature, the standard was CCITT G.114 which
had standards for *one-way* delay and a three rating standard (acceptable,
may impact some applications, unnacceptable).  The one way delay values
were up to 150ms (acceptable), 150 to 400 ms (may impact), above 400ms
(unacceptable).

These were standards for voice and again, were one way.

Craig