[e2e] Re: crippled Internet

Henning Schulzrinne hgs at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Apr 26 16:07:10 PDT 2001

Also, it is not good enough that it works ok most of the time. It has to
work close to 100% of the time for close to 100% of the people (in a
reasonably well-described area, i.e., excluding users in Zambia or
customers of a particular carrier is ok, but saying "sorry, customers
whose IP address happens to be prime can't use is" is probably not a
usable service.) The numeric interpretation of close-to-100% is a matter
of debate, but I suspect that it's more than 99.9% (failure for 8
hours/year or 250,000 people in the U.S.).

We have gathered some related data (using real VoIP packet spacing) and
are in the process of gathering more. Volunteers at additional test
sites (preferably not on I2) are most appreciated.