[e2e] Mystery

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Apr 30 14:26:34 PDT 2001

At 02:43 PM 4/29/01 -0700, Steve Deering wrote:
>At 9:32 AM -0400 4/29/01, David P. Reed wrote:
> >This address management problem is, on a global scale, one that needs an
> end-to-end, not a link-level, solution.  The germ of one is in IPv6, but
> that part has not been developed into a practical solution.
>
>David,
>
>If you have any good ideas, and if you are up-to-date with the current
>state of IPv6 address management, we're all ears.
>
>Steve

To clarify, I don't see yet how v6 management will work through the
omnipresent NAT boxes that are the practical reality in the last mile
networking world.  Too late to fix that, but perhaps one can turn those NAT
boxes into v6 access routers by firmware upgrades, or perhaps by tunneling
past them, one can deploy a local v6 gateway on home LANs that supports
devices like Sony's.

Where is the current state of IPv6 address management captured? I've read a
lot of the RFCs but I'm not sure that they capture the "current state"
coherently.

- David