[e2e] QoS requirements for different applications, anyone?

Markus Peuhkuri puhuri at tct.hut.fi
Fri Aug 3 05:57:40 PDT 2001

I was preparing lectures for a new QoS course (advanced
undergraduate) and started to wonder if anyone has collected a summary
for QoS requirements for different applications.

I just could throw something like: "for telephone call you need
maximum 250 ms delay; if you code video stream with MPEG-I @ 1.5
Mbit/s you need to allocate peak rate around 1.8 Mbit/s; protocol S
for disk sharing breaks if round-trip delay is more than 2 seconds".
Something which has more credibility (link/citation to relevant
paper(s)) would be nice.

The idea is to give some idea how diverse QoS requirements can be for
different applications.

Markus Peuhkuri        ! internet: Markus.Peuhkuri at hut.fi
HUT/Networking Lab.    ! http://www.iki.fi/puhuri/
P.O.Box 3000, 02015 HUT! tel: +358-9-451 2467 fax: +358-9-460224
Finland, EUROPE        ! gsm: +358-40-50 19683