[e2e] new papers on Internet topology

Olivier Bonaventure Olivier.Bonaventure at info.fundp.ac.be
Fri Aug 3 13:36:50 PDT 2001

Hyunseok Chang wrote:

> We have several papers out on "Internet topology":

You might also be interested by two recent reports where we
study the topological distribution of the Internet traffic
based on two one week long traces of all the interdomain
traffic of two ISPs. These two packet traces are analysed
in relation with the BGP routing table of each ISP.

* The Macroscopic Behavior of Internet Traffic: a Comparative Study
  Steve Uhlig and Olivier Bonaventure

Abstract

This paper analyzes two one week long traces of all the interdomain traffic of two very different ISPs. The analysis correlates the received traffic with the BGP routing table of
the studied ISPs. We first analyze the topological distribution of the traffic throughout the Internet. Then, we analyze the variability of the interdomain flows by considering
their activity and the variability of their traffic in volume.

* Implications of Interdomain Traffic Characteristics on Traffic Engineering
  Steve Uhlig and Olivier Bonaventure

Abstract

We study the interdomain traffic as seen by a non-transit ISP, based on a six days trace covering all the interdomain links of this ISP. Our analysis considers the relationships
between the interdomain traffic and the interdomain topology. We first discuss the day-to-day stability of the interdomain traffic matrix to evaluate the feasibility of interdomain
traffic engineering. Then, we study the variability of the interdomain flows for several aggregation levels (prefix, AS and sink tree) and with respect to the interdomain topology
seen by BGP. We show that despite the important variability of interdomain flows, it would be useful for a non-transit ISP to traffic engineer its access traffic by relying on a
sink tree aggregation level.

Both reports are available from  http://www.infonet.fundp.ac.be/doc/tr/

Comments are welcome

Olivier Bonaventure