[e2e] Re: queue averaging introduces delay

Anurag Kumar anurag at ece.iisc.ernet.in
Wed Aug 8 22:40:10 PDT 2001

> I'd also note that most AQM proposals seem to leave half of the current
> problem on the table.  Most routers now implement multiple output queues
> per circuit in support of differentiated services.  This means that, from
> the point of view of any individual queue, the queue drain rate is not
> necessarily a constant but rather depends on the amount of traffic through
> the other queues.  Since most analyses seem to assume that there is a
> simple fixed relationship between queue length and queuing delay, it
> leaves a non-trivial exercise to the reader to determine the applicability
> of the results to situations where this relationship is violated.
>
> Dennis Ferguson

	You may be interested in the models and analyses in our following
papers where we do take into account the stochastically time varying
nature of the bandwidth available to a queue handling elastic traffic.
One of the ideas here is to define an "effective service rate" of the
time varying server.

Santosh P. Abraham and Anurag Kumar, ``A New Approach for Asynchronous
Distributed Rate Control of Elastic Sessions in Integrated Packet
Networks,'' IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, February 2001.

Sanjay Shakkotai, Anurag Kumar, Aditya Karnik and Ajit Anvekar, ``TCP
over End-to-End ABR: TCP Performance with End-to-End Rate Control and
Stochastic Available Capacity,'' IEEE/ACM Transactions on
Networking, August 2001.

Anurag Kumar