[e2e] Fwd: Camel's nose in the tent

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Aug 10 08:18:38 PDT 2001

Verizon DSL has instituted recently an official policy of blocking all
email that a user sends that does not have a line in the header that says
it is sent from verizon.net or bellatlantic.net.  This is apparently
because they want to "stop spam", but has a number of additional effects
(such as creating a "walled garden" for email origination).

It's yet another case where a violation of the "end-to-end" design
principle that was embodied in the original SMTP is being accepted and
breaking the Internet's ability to innovate, and also attacking free speech
(I realize that not everyone in the USA or world believes in free speech,
but innovation at the edges is a value that the technical community also
shares, whatever their political persuasion).

I wrote the following to Farber's IP list, hoping to encourage some
effective response against ISPs who would otherwise adopt this technology
(know who the middlebox vendors for this are?).  Any thought on who in the
IETF/IAB can make a statement on not violating layers like this?  The free
speech issue is well covered, but the innovation-blocking issue is
something the technical community ought to take an independent interest
in.  Perhaps the problem is that the technical community is now too tied to
income sources that don't want to offend carriers who want to mess up the
architecture?

Scary.

- David