[e2e] Fwd: Camel's nose in the tent

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Aug 10 10:00:58 PDT 2001

At 09:58 AM 8/10/01 -0600, Vernon Schryver wrote:
>Does that policy apply to all SMTP traffic or only to SMTP sessions
>with Verizon DSL SMTP relays or servers?  In other words, are they
>simply limiting the end-to-end traffic between their hosts (that happen
>to be an SMTP relays) and other hosts or are they running interception
>proxies?

The policy is implemented at Verizon merely on mail sent through their SMTP
servers (however, since most SMTP servers block "relay" access as defined
by messages coming in from IP addresses other than ones they "control",
this limits a user's options).  I am informed by Brad Templeton that other
ISPs block traffic to SMTP port on servers other than their own.  Similarly
justified by anti-spam arguments.

Verizon is not using interception proxies for this (I don't know if they
use interception proxies otherwise - I presume they will deploy Carnivore,
for example, when requested).

- David