[e2e] Fwd: Camel's nose in the tent

Angelos D. Keromytis angelos at coredump.cis.upenn.edu
Fri Aug 10 22:53:31 PDT 2001

In message <87pua3bzr3.fsf at cain.internet2.edu>, stanislav shalunov writes:

>I believe they block outgoing connections to port 25 (as many other
>ISPs do).  So, you have to use one of their servers to send mail
>(unless, of course, you have a setup like mine where you tunnel to the
>office).

As far as I can tell, that statement is incorrect; I do use Verizon ADSL, and
there is no outgoing filtering whatsoever. There seems to be inbound (to the
customer --- i.e., me) filtering of port 80, but given that Verizon uses PPPoE,
it's questionable how useful it'd be anyway.

They even let port 500 and protocol 50 through.
-Angelos