[e2e] Fwd: Camel's nose in the tent

Graham Cope G.Cope at ftel.co.uk
Mon Aug 13 01:11:35 PDT 2001

In summary, is it fair to sahy that the problem with the e2e argment, is
that the definition of 'end' varies depending on your view point
(although I recall that the original authors were clear), and sometimes
it is and 'edge' and not an 'end'.

My favourite is the somewhat glib statement used by some people
'intelligence is moving to the edge of the network'. I have three
problems with that statement:
1/ What is intelligence?
2/ What and where is an edge?
3/ What is a network? E.g., tunneling through, confusion between a
service and a network (what is the PSTN?, or in this case, what is an
e-mail network), virtual network, overlay (underlay?) networks etc.

My 1.44p on a Monday morning.

Graham