[e2e] Protocols for tightly synchronised multicast?

Michael Welzl michael at tk.uni-linz.ac.at
Thu Aug 16 00:53:23 PDT 2001

Hi,

For those of you who are interested AND speak German   :),
my master's thesis also dealt with that topic (real-time musical
collaboration over long distances); it contains an overview of
related projects and points out that the approach taken by "Res
Rocket" is probably the best one. Also, MIDI is not suited for
Internet real-time transmission at all (e.g., there are no chord
symbols ... delay in between two notes can turn your chord into an
arpeggio!); I proposed an altered version of MIDI in my thesis and
our upcoming WEDELMUSIC paper, which also draws a sketch about
possible net-music interaction.

Links to what I'm talking about:

My master's thesis:
Michael Welzl: "NetMusic: Echtzeitfähige Konzepte und Systeme für den
telekooperativen Austausch musikalischer Information". German diploma thesis
(Diplomarbeit), University of Linz, Austria 1998.
http://www.tk.uni-linz.ac.at/~michael/diplom.ps.gz

Res Rocket:
http://www.rocketnetwork.com/indexie.htm

The WEDELMUSIC paper:
Max Mühlhäuser, Michael Welzl, Jan Borchers, and Rainer Gutkas: "GlobeMusic:
The Internet Scale of eMusic-Making", WEDELMUSIC 2001 International
Conference on Web Delivery of Music (Florence, Nov. 30-Dec 1, 2001)
(accepted paper).
http://www.tk.uni-linz.ac.at/~michael/publications/GlobeMusic.pdf

Cheers,
Michael