[e2e] Congestion control and avoidance - QoS?

Michael Welzl michael at tk.uni-linz.ac.at
Mon Aug 20 03:12:18 PDT 2001

Folks,

> The idea of implementing improved congestion control on an
> end-to-end,
> cooperative basis in a new protocol (replacing TCP as the
> basis for HTTP)
> sounds like a worthy goal.

... wouldn't SCTP be a good place to start?
After all, from what I've read about it, I figure that it may
indeed replace TCP in the long run.

I do not believe that there has been sufficient research to
qualify for such changes in TCP yet, but on the other hand,
I really don't think we should stick with AIMD for all ages.

e.g., see:
Harrick Vin and Sergey Gorinsky, "Additive Increase Appears
Inferior", http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/gorinsky/pubs.html
There could indeed be better linear controls.

And there is more than just the stability issue - some argue
that AIMD satisfies Frank Kelly's desirable "proportional
fairness" property, which is not true according to Jean-Yves
Le Boudec in "The Fairness of Additive Increase and
Multiplicative Decrease", which can be found at
http://icawww.epfl.ch/ICAPublic/asp/Publication_selection.asp

The SCTP folks could get rid of things which are only there
for backwards compatibility - such as the "ECN capable" flag.

Cheers,
Michael