[e2e] SCTP

Marco Molteni molter at tin.it
Wed Aug 22 02:35:36 PDT 2001

On 2001-08-22, jayesh_pict wrote:

> This is our first Project. Currently we are studying more about
> SCTP, I have gone thr' RFC 2960 for SCTP. Basically, as SCTP on
> Linux has been done, we are very much interested to do SCTP on BSD
> derived OSes. But frankly telling I don't know anything about BSD
> kernel & whole other stuff.......

I thought of doing this for FreeBSD, but I hadn't the time yet.

There is an hybrid userland/kernel SCTP reference implementation for
FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris done by the RFC authors, at http://www.sctp.org/

If you want to target BSD derived OSes, you should contact the
technical mailing lists related to the projects (http://www.freebsd.org/,
http://www.netbsd.org/, http://www.openbsd.org/). The FreeBSD one is
freebsd-net at freebsd.org.

The 4.4 BSD IP stack is described in two books:

McKusick et alia, The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD
Operating System, Addison Wesley

Wright, Stevens, TCP/IP Illustrated, vol. 2, Addison-Wesley

> So I would like to know again (knowing about my background) about
> the project feasibility of SCTP on BSD derives OSes. Can we finished
> it up within 5-6 months? Will you please tell us, how much time will
> it take to do this project?

hehe, don't know what to answer. As I said before, contact the
technical mailing lists related to the various BSDs.

Marco