[e2e] SCTP

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Wed Aug 22 04:57:27 PDT 2001

Well, I have a couple of benchmarks for you.

I implemented RDP (without a reference implementation) in the BSD kernel in
16 days (12 hour days) in 1987.  I was an M.Sc. candidate at the time and
had done one prior protocol implementation (HMP) in the BSD kernel.

In a fit of craziness, I assigned doing RDP in user space to my first computer
networking class at Stanford.  They had 4 or 5 weeks and it came very close
to killing them.  It was not my finest moment.  About half the class dropped
out during those weeks.  But of those who stuck it out, many later thanked
me -- they'd learned an astonishing amount about how a protocol really works.
And I think that's true -- implementing a protocol gives you a perspective
that simply reading a spec or a book does not.

So yes, you could do it in 5-6 months, esp. with a reference implementation
to look at.  And you'll learn a lot.  And it will be hard.

Craig