[e2e] Fundamental Questions about Router Queue in High Speed IP Networks

Wu Yan yan.wu3 at asu.edu
Wed Aug 22 16:15:23 PDT 2001

Hi,
   For the 1st question, is the assumption sound?

   For the second question, the major difficulty is FQ is time consuming. In order to do FQ, you should do
   1 flow identification. For IP packet, possibly you need to take into consideration the IP dest/src address, TCP port number, TOS, etc.
   2 scheduling, which requires that the router must do some sort to determine the output sequence.
   These 2 steps take some time. You can check the website of Juniper Networks Inc. and see how they are trying solve this problem.
   Regards.

   Yan Wu

   Telecommunication Research Center
   Department of Electrical Engineering