[e2e] Re: Network expansion based on customer demand (was: Re: [e2e] Fundamental Questions about Router Queue in High Speed IP Networks)

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Aug 24 07:21:36 PDT 2001

At 01:04 PM 8/24/2001 +0200, Anders Bergsten wrote:
>But, would you say that we (as an ISP for example) have enough
>information to judge where to expand the network to meet the demand that
>the customers are willing to pay for?
>
>As I see it, we only have information about the resource utilisation on
>single links to judge the demand.

I think you nailed the key question here.

Of course the links are the wrong place to measure demand, since the
"end-to-end" demand is for short-latency capacity from endpoint to
endpoint.  The fact that it gets aggregated on a particular link is an
artifact mostly of routing choice...  and routing choice is only loosely
connected to demand (especially unsatisfied demand that TCP is holding back).

There are very useful signals outside the TCP stacks (perhaps in the user's
mind only) about demand.

One way to think about this is to find a way to communicate a user's
willingness to pay, into a "market" for future capacity.  I've thought
about this a fair amount, and I think there's a simple scheme that could be
made to work.  But as a self-employed person - well, there's not a lot of
funding for system-level paradigm shifts out there (maybe there will be now
that the router companies can't get customers by loaning them the money to
buy their products).