R: [e2e] [Fwd: RED-->ECN]

Jon Crowcroft J.Crowcroft at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Feb 1 08:39:56 PST 2001

In message <008c01c08c6b$4655eec0$723bccc1 at poliba.it>, Saverio Mascolo typed:

 >>I would introduce another element of discussion...Explicit congestion
 >>indication was proposed in the ATM community...after a while they concluded
 >>that it was necessary a richer feedback in order to obtain an effective
 >>"regularization" of queue dynamics, utilization etc...thus it was proposed
 >>explicit rate indication such ERICA algorithm.

the difference between explicit rate feedback and binary feedback can
be overstated -
1/the bit can be set for a number of flows - if the number of flows is
large, and they respond corectly then the effect can be nearly the same
as setting the "right" explicit rate per flow

2/ the rate of change of flows per "rtt" might be such that telling
someone the "right" explicit rate half an rtt ago maybe no better and
might be worse than binary feedback per flow.

in some of the discussion below, the distinction between the reason
for drop tail (demand >= supply) and RED+ECN (demand is _approaching_ supply
and AQM triggers set) is correctly made - the AQM mechanism can take
into account a lot of other factors (number of current flows, rate of
change of number of flows, even relative RTT of flows (hard to measure
though, esp. in today's assymetric routed interdomain path internet:-))

by the way, the idea of a "quantum mechanics" of queues had occurred
to me - not to "perform magic" like quantum tunneling, but the use of
quantum statistics to model the population of queues for very large
systems might not be so far fetched..(yes, i know there are a few
orders of magnitude of orders of magnitude difference in scale, but
its still fun to think of)

 cheers

   jon