[e2e] [Fwd: RED-->ECN]

Christian Huitema huitema at exchange.microsoft.com
Thu Feb 1 11:38:34 PST 2001

My specific suggestion would be to start using linear increase (increase
the window by a constant x for each Ack) instead of the sublinear
increase we have now (increase by 1/W), for the high speed connections
(e.g. when W > 40). We can tune the constant "x" so that the increase at
the threshold point (W=40?) is equal on both sides of the threshold
(e.g., x=1/40). The behavior would remain exactly the same in the case
of high error rates, but we would gain better control in the case of low
error rates. Then, the application designers would not be forced into
"optimisations."

-- Christian Huitema