[e2e] [Fwd: RED-->ECN]

Christian Huitema huitema at exchange.microsoft.com
Thu Feb 1 12:38:05 PST 2001

> and voila. total 4RTT, no cong.control, fully compliant TCP.
> (i don't remember if christian's model assumed that the loss
> changes with the number of connections, but probably not. )

The loss rate does indeed change with the number of connections. You
have to increase the loss rate to the point where the global load
matches demand. For example, if the congestion window W of all
connections follow a 0(1/sqrt(L)) law, the loss rate will vary as
0(N^2). If W follows a 0(1/L) law, the loss rate will vary as 0(1/N). If
you have a mix, then you get to be somewhere in between...

My model assumed a somewhat polite file transfer, that kept only one
connection open at a time.

-- Christian Huitema