[e2e] [Fwd: RED-->ECN]

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Thu Feb 1 16:39:44 PST 2001

At 08:40 AM 2/1/01 -0500, Michael B Greenwald wrote:
>If the input rate is less than the
>output rate, then (independent of variations in inter-arrival time) the
>queue length is 0 -- always empty.  For an arbitrarily low *average* input
>rate, and a long enough interval, and an unbounded queue, I can construct
>an arrival schedule that will cause an arbitrarily high *average* queue
>length.

who told you that?

I think you'll find that with any distribution, mean queue depth is not a
binary flip-flop between zero and infinity. With poisson distributions
(M/M/1) and a ratio if input rate to output rate of p and mean service
interval m, Kleinrock tells me that the average time in queue (which is to
say mean queue depth including the packet itself)

              p/m
         W = -----
             1 - p

and in the general case