[e2e] setting RED parameters to compare with ECN

Saverio Mascolo mascolo at poliba.it
Fri Feb 2 04:12:43 PST 2001

Hi all,

in the paper "TCP and explicit congestion notification" by S. Floyd is
written:

" In our simulation with RED gateways, the minimum threshold for the average
queue size is set to 1/12-th of the buffer size, and the maximum threshold
is set to three times the minimum threshold. The RED gateways drop all
arriving packets when the average queue size exceeds the maximum threshold"

I think that RED should drop all arriving packets only when the average
queue size exceeds the maximum buffer size, i.e. never. In other words the
dropping probability should be one only when the queue is full (drop tail
behavior). Why should we enforce 100% dropping if the queue is not full?

-Saverio