R: R: [e2e] [Fwd: RED-->ECN]

Saverio Mascolo mascolo at poliba.it
Tue Feb 6 10:54:26 PST 2001

I have no reasons to believe that results reported in the paper below are
not correct.
Robust tuning of RED parameter is of course a great issue.
Regarding Random Early Discard my question is: since the goal is to produce
an early congestion indication through early dropping, why should we relate
dropping to average queue instead of instantaneous queue?
Average introduces delay and this is against the goal of having early
congestion indication.

Saverio Mascolo, Ph.D

Associate Professor
Dipartimento di Elettrotecnica ed Elettronica
Politecnico di Bari
Via Orabona 4
70125 Italy
email: mascolo at poliba.it
tel. +39 080 5963621
fax. +39 080 5963410
http://www-dee.poliba.it/dee-web/Personale/mascolo.html

> Saverio Mascolo wrote:
> >
> > What Hollot says is right. Averaging the queue makes much more difficult
> > control the queue level. In control terms is like to add another pole in
the
> > feedback loop.
> > An interesting paper is also "Reasons not to deploy RED" by J. Bolot et.
al.