[e2e] Can feedback be generated more fast in ECN?

Eric A. Hall ehall at ehsco.com
Tue Feb 13 18:25:23 PST 2001

> >In short, I guess ECN is trying to be consistent with the traditional
> >Internet model -- keep the core simple and let the edge do the smart
> >work.

> I agree. This is a general rule.

Let's see, SQ lets the router tell the end-point that the network is busy,
which lets the end-point deal with it by dropping cwin immediately.

ECN tries to do the same basic thing by building a bunch of smarts in the
middle of the network that may eventually after a while if congestion
isn't complete link failure get around to telling the sender about it,
after the sender has drained what's left of rwin, assuming it's ECN-aware
and that it doesn't take the ACKs as a cue to slide the window over and
send some more data for the network to think about.

Which is closer to the dumb-net/smart-node principle?