[e2e] Can feedback be generated more fast in ECN?

Zhang Miao zm at csnet1.cs.tsinghua.edu.cn
Wed Feb 14 06:28:47 PST 2001

>> If you want to do SQ, you need to be aware of the level of
>> congestion, too - be it based on the instantaneous queue length,
>> an EWMA of the queue length as in RED, whatever. So SQ and ECN
>> are similar in this respect.
>
>Agreed, the alerting level should be user-configurable based on
>user-defined parameters, regardless of the alerting mechanism.

What parameters do you mean?
In my opinion, the less parameters used, the better.
It is very hard for users and administrators to tune parameters in the network.

>This is the only really credible argument I have ever heard against SQ and
>to tell you the truth I am not entirely sure I buy it. How expensive is it
>for a modern piece of equipment to generate a Destination Unreachable
>message? Is it prohibitive?

We need not limit to SQ.
The question is:
(1) whether backward ECN(SQ like) is better than forward ECN(ECN like)
(2) can we design a "cheap" mechanism using backward ECN