[e2e] Can feedback be generated more fast in ECN?

J. Noel Chiappa jnc at ginger.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Feb 14 14:00:02 PST 2001

    > From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed at reed.com>

    > the big elephant here is that looking at the packet level in a local
    > router will never be the right place or time to solve congestion.  At
    > best it is a way to help the network 's users cooperate to survive
    > unforseeable transients that should be prevented earlier.

Whoa, I was with you until you got to this. Are you saying thay you don't
think there's any role for closed-loop congestion control (i.e. feedback based
on actual congestion)? Or are you saying that intermediate routers should
"know" more about their traffic, and monitor them for liekly future trouble,
and not do congestion response on a packet-by-packet basis? Or something
else?

And can you please explain what's so bad about classic closed-loop, especially
in a network with such dynamic loads?

	Noel