[e2e] Can feedback be generated more fast in ECN?

Alhussein Abouzeid hussein at ee.washington.edu
Wed Feb 14 21:43:01 PST 2001

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Baoqing Ye wrote:

> > can not carry their load) is to drop their packets. Further, recent
> > studies show that the percentage of packets not carried by TCP on the
> > Internet is around 10%. So, again, even if using SQ is of benefit for UDP
>
>     Can  you forward me the links of those studies? (even though I read some
> which I can't say they were the most RECENT studies) -- it is important to
> know what is dominating In the Internet traffic.

I'm not aware of more recent work with same level of detail as the one
below. My statement regarding the percentages above relied on the results
reported in Figure 6. of the paper. Ofcourse, things might have changed
since 1997. Things might even have changed a lot since I started writing
this e-mail!

-Hussein.
                      Wide-area Internet traffic patterns and characteristics
                      - Thompson, K.; Miller, G.J.; Wilder, R.
                      MCI Telecommun. Corp., USA
                      This paper appears in: IEEE Network
                      On page(s): 10 - 23
                      Nov.-Dec. 1997
                      Volume: 11 Issue: 6
                      ISSN: 0890-8044
                      References Cited: 21
                      CODEN: IENEET
                      INSPEC Accession Number: 5798061

Abstract:
The Internet is rapidly growing in number of users, traffic levels, and
topological complexity. At the same time it is increasingly driven by
economic competition. These developments render the characterization of
network usage and workloads more difficult, and yet more critical. Few
recent studies have been published reporting Internet backbone traffic
usage and characteristics. At MCI, we have implemented a
high-performance, low-cost monitoring system that can capture traffic
and perform analyses. We have deployed this monitoring tool on OC-3
trunks within the Internet MCI's backbone and also within the
NSF-sponsored vBNS. This article presents observations on the patterns
and characteristics of wide-area Internet traffic, as recorded by MCI's
OC-3 traffic monitors. We report on measurements from two OC-3 trunks
in MCI's commercial Internet backbone over two time ranges (24-hour and
7-day) in the presence of up to 240,000 flows. We reveal the
characteristics of the traffic in terms of packet sizes, flow duration,
volume, and percentage composition by protocol and application, as well
as patterns seen over the two time scales.