[e2e] Can feedback be generated more fast in ECN?

Vijay Gill vijay at umbc.edu
Wed Feb 14 22:26:01 PST 2001

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, David P. Reed wrote:

> Congestion is the condition of a network that is operating with queues near
> full on some paths.  Excessive demand is the condition you are referring to
> that arises when provisioning can't keep up with demand growth, and it is
> not identical to congestion (Excessive demand may, but need not, result in

I stand corrected in my usage of the term!

> different than the observation that running highways with traffic jams
> benefits none of its users.  (Though if you charge a toll per car, it is a
> revenue maximizing strategy for the toll-road operator.  Hence it may well

It should be noted that several providers are now billing based on usage,
so it is in their favor to minimize queue depths in their ip devices. This
of course presupposes that the majority of traffic carried is sensitive to
full queues in the paths ;)

/vijay