[e2e] FTP data port

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Feb 26 13:18:30 PST 2001

Bob - respectfully disagree.  If you read RFC 385, one TIP problem was
related to email - and was solved by MLFL.

Bhushan's RFC354 is the first FTP document to describe the "data connection".
Though it does mention the idea of sending a file to the "local printer" on
a TIP,this is not a *problem* but a feature.

Though I am not aware of any document that describes the reason for a
change from earlier FTP specs that use the same connection for data and
control, the rationale I recall discussing with Abhay was almost certainly
to simplify by not requiring multiplexing, esp. when data types varied.

Why the connection was opened by the server is probably because both ends
needed socket numbers to be chosen and verified, for "security" reasons,
and the logical end for the SOCK command to be originated from was the client.

Since I was only a spectator at the time (I got involved in the Internet
project, and only kibitzed on ARPANET stuff), I may be wrong.

Note that it